Wednesday, July 22, 2009

July 22

July 22
Political Correctness
The origin and nature of political correctness.
Newspeak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Literature Suppressed on Political Grounds
Suppressed Political Grounds


Phone gadget to diagnose disease
LENSWORK Podcast 547

"Political correctness (noun) and politically correct (adjective) (PC) are the terms applied to language, ideas, policies, and behaviour meant to enforce ideologic conformity to an orthodox authority. The usages are principally pejorative — ridiculing the “unquestionable authority” of the orthodoxy and the authority figure. The adjectival term politically incorrect denotes language and ideas, unconstrained by orthodoxy, that might offend the orthodox PC folk."

Political Correctness - Wikipedia

I've been hearing terms like politically correct, conspiracy theory, freedom fighter, militants, evil-doer, climate change, globalization, race card, hate speech, physically challenged, Indigenous citizens, Native-Americans, Flight attendant, peacekeeper, and pro-life. I wonder where a lot of these words come from. Kind of sounds like "newspeak" from 1984 to me. Hard for to me to put into words. But, I wonder how much my thoughts are "programmed" by the language. We often talk about computer languages and programming computers. How much are we "programmed" by our language? The media is so powerful and persuasive now. It's so easy for them to adjust the language. How does this affect my thinking, my view of reality, my ability to create and improvise. Living in a foreign country gives me an opportunity to observe people using a different language and the corresponding behavior, thought patterns and perceptions of reality. Since the basis of this blog is about creativity/improvisation, it makes me curious about the effects of language on my creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment