Sunday, July 26, 2009

July 24

Was talking with my son about the possibility of him doing an independent study for a semester. Just the sound of that is interesting to me. Independent. Study. I was standing in the shower thinking about that this afternoon and wondered, "Why doesn't everyone do independent studies through school?" What is the other option.....dependent studies? Yeah, I remember going in and sitting for 90 minutes and frenetically taking notes. Not really listening to the lecture. Just trying to grab what I could, knowing that I would need to regurgitate some of that info in an exam. 2-4 weeks later I would have very little memory of anything on the exam much less all those notes from class. I know without a doubt, if I had done independent studies, I would have been a completely different student. Ah, there I go again, going against the system. Silly me. Independent studies?! Now that wouldn't prepare me for an assembly line now would that? I wouldn't be a very valuable human resource would I? Just listen to that. HUMAN RESOURCE.....

Maybe now would be a good time to introduce one of my favorite writers/speakers/researchers on the background of the formation of the education system in America. Below you will be able to listen to John Taylor Gatto being interviewed by Alex Jones.






No comments:

Post a Comment