Monday, July 27, 2009

July 25

When I think of the creative process, I'm often drawn to movies and actors. Maybe some would think that strange coming from a trumpet player.

In the early 1990's after I left my gig as a trumpet soloist in the Navy Commodores Big Band in Washington, D.C., I found myself back in my hometown of Elkins, West Virginia. Some have asked why I made such a move. Well, it's a long story for another day. All I can say today is that at the time, things might not make sense. However, if you look back years later, events seem to fit together like a puzzle. At age 32, I was diagnosed with stage IV throat cancer. So, I think it made perfect sense that I was back in my hometown with my spiritual support group around me.

While living in Elkins, I was around some community theater folks. Occasionally, I played for some of the shows. It was always great fun.

During this time, I was playing in a club called Captain Tease quite often. It was one of those clubs that musicians can play almost style of music and people seem to really respect the spirit of the music. The was an actor from Elkins who had spent a number of years in New York named Dale Wilson. Initially, I knew Dale from his radio work in Elkins. He had a great voice on WDNE. It was years later that i found out about his talents as an actor and his years in New York.

Dale used to come to my gigs often. We had many good conversations during my breaks comparing the improvisational world of jazz musicians and the world of acting. I knew that Dale had a heart condition and I was always concerned about his habit of having scotch, peanut butter pie and chain-smoking at my gigs. Dale had so much to say about timing, rhythm and grounding. I really felt like I was in the presence of a master. Unfortunately, Dale passed away soon after. I'll have to say, I knew he REALLY lived his life. So, when it came time for him to pass on to the "next stage", I didn't feel sadness. I knew this was a guy that really "turned over every stone" and checked out life completely.

From that experience, I started to pay a lot more attention to the actors' world. People in Japan sometimes ask me about my favorite actor or movie. Without question, my favorite actor is Al Pacino and the movie is a movie that Pacino was in called Scent of a Woman.

Below are some of my favorite Pacino clips. Also you will see Pacino and DeNiro together in a clip from "Heat." DeNiro is probably #2 for me.



A Storyteller


Scent of a Woman

Scent of a Woman....commentary on women


Pacino and DeNiro in Heat

No comments:

Post a Comment