Tuesday, July 14, 2009

July 13

Trumpet
Doing a lot of extremely slow practice. Trying to mentally hear everything and then sing before playing. Used to do this kind of thing when I studied with Marc Copeland back in the 1980's. What a great teacher he is/was!!! I'm finding now that a lot of his ideas are similar to Ran Blake's. The past few days, I started thinking about my experience with Ran Blake. It was really an intense few days in his workshop as it was an equally intense couple of years studying with Marc Copeland. I really know now that for various reasons (most of them silly) I've gotten away for doing a lot of things that I was working on daily during and after my time with those guys. Time to get "deep in the shed" again!!!

Marc Copeland: An Aesthetic Manifesto
Interview With Marc
Official Website

"Music is an aural art. Let me repeat, music is an AURAL ART."

Ran Blake - The Primacy of the Ear


"It is the ear’s strengths (and limitations) which are the most important elements in the creation of an individual style, not the ability to reproduce memorized, virtuosic licks at roller-coaster tempos. When musicians have this skill, along with imagination and perseverance as well as the ability to communicate, they are blessed. In our school curriculum it is the ear which is ignored in favor of analysis, reading of scores, and especially technique (although sometimes these pursuits are not mutually exclusive)."

Ran Blake - Third Stream and the Importance of the Ear
from the College Music Symposium, Journal of the College Music Society
Volume Twenty-One, Number Two
Fall 1981

Primacy of the Ear (pdf)
Third Stream and the Importance of the Ear

No comments:

Post a Comment