Tuesday, June 9, 2009

June 14

While in the hospital in Baltimore, recovering from a major throat cancer operation, I found myself with a room full of doctors and psychiatrists. I asked them what the big group meeting was all about. Thought maybe they were going to give me my "expiration date." They told me I was going to live but, without the trumpet. At the time, they thought it would be impossible for me to play because of the effects of the operations. I had a few moments to sit there (with all of them staring at me) and think about not making music on the trumpet in the future. After a a couple of minutes I had a very clear realization:

"It's not about the trumpet,
it's about creating."


I found out at that moment that what I really wanted was to create. Realized that I could do that on any instrument, painting, writing, photography, etc. That was a HUGE moment.

Books (New Store)
Went to a new bookstore today in Shirokane. Great used bookstore! Picked-up some books for ¥200 each at Book-Off!





A great book chikung (qigong).

Started checking out Second Life a couple of years ago. Do you know about the 3D virtual world of Second Life? It's a lot of fun! I think a very creative thing.
Second Life
Second Life on Wiki

Cafe
Had a meeting at Ben's Cafe

Event
Went to an event at Pink Cow This a very relaxed, cool space. Good food/drink where you can sit and relax, read, look at art exhibitions, network and see interesting performances (music, writers, artists, designers, etc) almost every night.

Music
Went to Bflat in Akasaka to hear Tim Lyddon. Tim is a new pianist living and working in Tokyo. He recently moved here from New York. You can hear some of his music on Myspace.

Later in the evening, I went to a really fun r&b/funk jam session at Miles Cafe in Ikebukuro. Got a chance to do some playing with some old friends.


Long day but, had a chance to experience a lot of new things today.

No comments:

Post a Comment