Monday, June 8, 2009

June 3

One of the best things I've ever done for creativity is to live in a foreign country. Traveling around Japan and walking some of the same streets for 10 years can still be so fascinating. After 10 years, I'm still amazed at some of the interesting and unusual things I see on a daily basis in my own neighborhood.

Walk
Took an interesting walk on one of the busiest streets in Tokyo today. Harajuku Street, as you can see from the photos, is an incredibly compact and dense shopping area.










Also, walked around ToGo Temple and the gardens. It was nice to be able to have some time to connect with nature right in the center of Tokyo.








Clothes
Bought a great Hawaiian shirt at a little shop on Harajuku St. I'm really into color and this one caught my eye. Seems like I only see black, gray and sometimes brown on the trains. It's depressing. I never wore these shirts in the USA. I think I'm rebelling with color..hahaha. Let's have a color revolution in Tokyo!



New Food
Tried a new combination of things I've already eaten. Ate some tofu with natto (fermented soybeans), okra and a poached egg on top. Tasted great! And is so healthy. I've told students, it's important to keep trying new things. Improvise. If you don't do it in your daily life, how could we expect to be able to do it (comfortably) when we pick up an instrument to play.


New Shop


Found this shop. Great place. Cotton and hemp shirts and pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment