Tuesday, June 30, 2009

June 30

Over the years, I've been witness to some I consider craftsmen/masters. They seem to be always "doing the work." This doesn't mean being a workaholic. Balance is also key. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Characteristics such as consistency, steadiness, balance, persistence, unchanging, undeviating yet, selfless/egoless were obvious. They never seem to be seeking fame or reward and are undaunted and fearless about failure.
"Work alone is your privilege, never the fruits thereof. Never let the fruits of action be your motive; and never cease to work. Be not affected by success of failure."

Bhagavad Gita


Interview
Bill Evans discussing improvisation and the creative process


Creativity Exercise
DeBono's Creativity Workout #7 (pg 34)
Random Words - Combining Random Words to Deliver a New Value

Composition
Today I finally took action on a project I've thought about for a long time. I'm starting to write an etude book for trumpet. Just what the world needs right? Hahaha..well, I'm writing (hopefully) in my voice, the way I speak on the horn. So, there might be something there for someone to take a look at. But then again, it doesn't really matter. I just want to get this down on paper. Kind of "clearing process" for me.

Listening
Edward Elgar - Enigma Variations
Keith Jarrett - Live in Tokyo 1996

Movie
Syriana
Watched this movie probably 5-6 times already. One of the best geopolitical films I've seen. A little too realistic.

Reading
Effortless Mastery - Kenny Werner

Keith Jarrett - NY Times - Jazz Martyr
Keith Jarrett: Zen in the Art of Jazz
Michael Michalko, 100 Monkeys (Collective Unconcious)
Deepak Chopra’s The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success
by Deon Du Plessis
An Enlightened Approach To Success

Kenny Wheeler Interview

Food/Drink
Having a new wine tonight from a company called Concha Y Toro (Sunshine - Merlot) and listening to Keith Jarrett. A great wine from Chile and the piano playing is pretty good too!

No comments:

Post a Comment