Monday, June 29, 2009

June 28

Sometimes I really love rainy days. Today was one of those days. Woke-up late today, got a good warm-up on the horn, ,did chi kung/yoga, had my blueberry/banana juice and talked with family. For me that's a great way to start the day. This old building I live in has one of those great tin roofs. I think they were especially made for rain. If it's one of those slow steady rains, there is kind of a rhythm to the sound of the rain landing on the roof. I spent several hours alternating between playing the trumpet, clearing/reading email that came in last week and checking out some new websites I've been introduced to. Here's a sampling of what I got into today.

Newsletters/Websites/Videos
Mind Map Inspiration
Murderous Musings in Creativity
Creative Liberty
Open Culture
Mycoted
Creative Education Foundation
Creativity Exercise Blogs
Kristina Dryza Official Website (friend of mine in Tokyo-SUPER creative!)
Futurethink
Futurethink Newsletters
NASA Newsletter
iconoculture
Creative Pro Newsletter
Creative Pro - "Mag Covers that Broke the Rules"
James Mahones' "Practice Portal" Blog (happy to call him friend)
Lateral Action
Creativity - Wiki
Creativity - Graham Wallas

Speakers at Google


Links for Creativity Sites on Creative Liberty
YouTube "Smart" Videos

92st Y
Neil Gaiman and Chip Kidd
20th Anniversary of Sandman


FreeJazz
Got this book from Senzoku on Friday. Looks like it could give me more insight into the "free jazz" scene.



Yoga Journal
Count your blessings..have gratitude.


WebProNews
"Dow Jones Exec Describes Google as Digital Vampire"
Interesting reading the story and then the comments and trying to take the side of each one. A good creativity exercise I think.

Finally, around 9pm I decided to go into Ikebukuro for a jam session. Walked a few blocks from the house with my horn listening to Alex Jones' podcast and suddenly asked myself, "Why am I walking to the station, taking a 15 minute train ride, another 15 minute walk to the club and then have to pay $25 (¥2500) to get in and only play a couple of tunes?" So I turned around and took my horn back to the house. Just couldn't pay $25 to sit-in. That's why there really isn't any kind of good jam session scene in Japan where the musicians can come together as a community and hang and talk and play. The club owners want to "feed" off of us and continue to drain a group of people that are already struggling financially.

Went to Mister Donut and spent a couple of hours reading more about Victor Vasarely and doing exercises from DeBono's book, "Creativity Workout." Tonight I continued with some of the "random word" exercises. Did exercises related to "pairing", "grouping" and "connecting."

No comments:

Post a Comment